GSB Senate votes on tuition increase resolution tonight

Ryan Brown

The Government of the Student Body will present its 9.5 percent tuition increase proposal to the Board of Regents on Thursday at the University of Iowa.

Before they can do that, the GSB Senate will vote tonight on a resolution recommending the 9.5 percent increase.

“What the Senate will be doing [tonight] is saying the tuition increase is too much,” said Tony Luken, LAS. “This will further the cause that students don’t want a tuition increase.”

The proposed tuition increase represents two things, Luken said, the state legislators’ lack of commitment for higher education and the regents’ action on how much it will make students pay.

In recent weeks, both Gov. Tom Vilsack and Speaker of the House Brent Siegrist said they support the current 11.5 percent base tuition increase.

“If the governor is comfortable with [the] increase, it reflects how the state government has a disregard for higher education,” Luken said.

If tuition keeps rising, out-of-state tuition will go up by $1,323.80 for the same service, Luken said.

“We get a lot of our diversity from out-of-state students and we have to give them a reason to stay,” he said. “The governor and the regents are giving them every reason to leave.”

GSB President Andy Tofilon and GSB Vice President Charles Johnson need the recommendation of the GSB Senate to strengthen their case, Luken said.

Tofilon and Johnson have been working on their tuition increase number since the regents released theirs, Tofilon said.

“We came up with the number because we believe it is reasonable and we believe the regents will lower it if we are being realistic,” Tofilon said. “Anything lower than 9.5 percent will be laughed at by the regents.”

A week ago, the board released its 11.5 percent base tuition increase. Combined with student fees, Iowa State’s tuition would increase by 13.9 percent. Last year the regents increased tuition by 9.9 percent.

The GSB Senate will meet at 7 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union. The following will be discussed:

New Business

A bylaw bill giving authority to the Senate to seat and remove individuals from the Senate and other committees. By Weaver, Kothenbeutel and others.

A bylaw bill rewording the Finance Bylaws. By Kallaher, Stallmann and others.

A bylaw bill reforming the Finance Bylaws. By Stallmann, Tinder and others.

A bylaw bill rewording the Finance Bylaws. By Tinder, Kallaher and others.

A resolution of GSB’s tuition increase to the Board of Regents. By Luken, Weaver and others.