Students, administrators excited about new president

Cavan Reagan and Samantha Kaufman

The ISU community eagerly awaits its next president.

“There are quite a few issues that we are going to be working with the new president on,” said Andy Tofilon, president of the Government of the Student Body.

Tofilon said it will be important for students to develop a good working relationship with Geoffroy.

“We’re going to have the first impression on him as students,” he said. “We want to have a good working relationship with him and make sure that he knows we are going to work with him, not against him.”

Thomas Hill, vice president for Student Affairs, said he has typical student issues to discuss with Geoffroy but not necessarily major ones. Hill said he wants to talk about Veishea, alcohol and the theme year with the new president.

“We’ve got to get him acquainted with the student body and with student leaders,” Hill said.

Geoffroy will meet with Tofilon and GSB vice president Charlie Johnson during his first week on campus. Tofilon said he wants to work with Geoffroy in order to increase lighting and safety on campus as well as discuss lowering student fees.

Tofilon said he and Johnson have spoken to the student government at the University of Maryland, where Geoffroy formerly served as the senior vice president for Academic Affairs.

“I think that he will be working very closely with us from our indications from him and people that have worked with him in the past,” Tofilon said.

Hill said he has heard much praise from Geoffroy’s former coworkers in Maryland.

“Everything that we’ve heard and what we’ve experienced with him thus far suggest he’s going to be excellent with students,” Hill said. “I know one of his goals and objectives is to get to know students right away and develop a good relationship with students.”

One faculty member is more speculative about Geoffroy’s success at Iowa State.

“There are a lot of invested interests, so he has to make changes without upsetting some of the hornets’ nests that are well established,” said Virginia Allen, associate professor of English. “Changes definitely need to be made, and that’s the challenge.”

Allen said she will meet with Geoffroy in July and wants to discuss a number of things with him, such as the way faculty grievances are investigated and problems related to tenure and sexual harassment.

“There are some tendencies in the provost office to ignore grievances,” she said. “They can ignore it unless someone wants to take action against the university. Unless you can make a credible threat of litigation, the provost and Faculty Senate can ignore you with impunity.”

David Hopper, former Faculty Senate president and a member of the Presidential Search Committee, said he thinks Geoffroy will make an excellent president. Hopper met with Geoffroy several times while serving on the selection committee.

“I’ve worked with every president of the university since Robert Parks,” Hopper said. “My experience [with Geoffroy] is that he has a very friendly and inclusive style.”