Regent students protest state cuts

David Frost

Students from the three regent universities rallied against pending multi-million dollar educational cuts on the steps of the Iowa Capitol Tuesday.

About 50 students from Iowa State, the University of Iowa and the University of Northern Iowa took part in the rally. The ISU Government of the Student Body also presented 1,151 letters to local legislators from ISU students.

As the Senate prepares to decide on an educational budget bill that cuts $65.6 million from the $980 million state education budget, students are making sure their voices are heard.

GSB Vice President Charlie Johnson stood on the steps and said Iowa’s education is too important to be a partisan issue.

“The rally went very well, considering the time of year and various other commitments that students need to focus on,” said GSB President Andy Tofilon. “Whether you have 50 or 100 students, you still get some light on the issue.”

It is hard to get students to take time out for a trip to Des Moines with finals on the horizon, but the those who were there got the message out, said University of Iowa Student Government President Nick Klenske.

“It is fantastic to see the students that care about higher education,” said Adam Briddell, University of Northern Iowa Student Government president.

Part of the education bill would cut the $2.75 million work-study program, which students said would have a negative effect on the regent schools.

“If the work-study program is it cut, it would be horrible,” Briddell said. “Cutting the program will either cause tuition to increase or cause the work-study program to be separate from the state, it will be disastrous for UNI.”

Tofilon said he is optimistic that the Legislature will be forced to look at keeping the work-study program. Although there were only 50 students in Des Moines, he said, many more parents and students depend on the money they earn in the work-study program.

“The Republicans will be forced to make a political move to reach common ground with the governor,” Tofilon said.

Cutting programs will hurt people who want to go to college, Klenske said. The loss of the work-study program coupled with tuition increases also could force students out of the state, and that contradicts the state’s goal of trying to encourage people to stay in Iowa, he said.

Student leaders from the regent schools hope they can work together to keep the future bright for education.

“The three schools working together will hopefully be-come something that happens every year, not just when funding is being cut,” Klenske said.

This summer, the presidents and vice presidents of each student government are planning to meet and discuss plans to keep next year’s tuition increase as low as possible, Klenske said.

If the budget cuts become a trend, students will continue to come together to act, Tofilon said.

“All the regent schools have big plans to work together in the hope of fostering educational issues like the budget cuts,” Briddell said.