Rec hopes lockers will reduce thefts

Tracie Mayberry

Day-use lockers recently were installed at the Lied Recreation Center, raising security standards as outside temperatures drop and fitness-conscious ISU students and staff move their workouts inside.More than 200 lockers, which soon will be available for free use, were purchased in response to an increase in theft from the third floor of the Rec Center, said Rhonda Cox, program coordinator for Recreation Services. “I hear a lot of people complaining about their stuff being stolen off the ledge,” said Rec Center employee Lyndsy Blair, sophomore in journalism and mass communications.The original concept was derived in winter 1998 by Recreation Services and Department of Safety, said Mike Harvey, associate director of Recreation Services. They took the problem to the student government for funding. “DPS approached [the Government of the Student Body] along with recreational services to find a solution,” Cox said. “They thought to see if GSB had some money to put toward lockers to decrease theft.”The lockers are being paid for with student-fee money, said Scott White, recreational services business manager. White said the lockers cost more than $33,000, including the vendor bid of $28,363.26 and a $5,000 estimate from facilities planning and management for design and engineering charges and project contingency reserve. GSB is providing $26,050 for the project, and recreation Services will cover costs beyond that figure. “I think it will provide students a free alternative,” Cox said. “They can bring their own lock and know that their stuff is safe.” With lockers available, people do not have to set their coats and keys on the often-crowded ledge by the weight room. “They cut down on the clutter,” said Nichole Widick, sophomore in chemistry. “It gets really bad up there at the busy times, and there are always rows of coats everywhere.” The lockers also are more convenient than the first-floor lockers, said Melinda Schwarz, senior in biology. “You don’t have to go out of your way to lock your stuff up,” she said.The department tried to look at traffic patterns when deciding where to place the lockers, Cox said.Some students don’t think the new lockers are a good idea.”It’s more of a hassle because you have to bring a lock now,” said Eric Hackbarth, senior in civil engineering. The challenge will be getting students to use the lockers, Cox said, but Recreation Services will educate them. “There are three policies they need to remember: Bring your own lock, remember your locker number and overnight storage is prohibited,” she said. “It’s free; that’s the key.”