Concert on the Green to focus on movies

Ashley Hassebroek

There are a few things every Iowa Stater can count on during the first week of school.

There will always be books to buy and syllabuses to read, and there will always be the annual Concert on the Green on central campus to attend.

“It’s always been a tradition in the president’s office,” Government of the Student Body President Matt Craft said.

For the past three years, GSB, the F. Wendell Miller Endowment and ISU President Martin Jischke have collaborated to bring an orchestral pops concert to ISU’s central campus.

ISU hosted the Des Moines Symphony in 1997 and the Cedar Rapids Symphony in 1998. This year, students will again have the chance to indulge in the sweet sounds of the Des Moines Symphony Orchestra.

At tonight’s show, Joseph Giunta, the symphony’s conductor of 11 years, will bring the group to central campus for a pops concert.

The concert, which is titled “Movies Meet the Classics,” will begin at 7 p.m. and features pieces from Hollywood blockbusters including “Braveheart,” “Apollo 13,” “Titanic,” “Superman” and “Schindler’s List,” among others.

But the orchestra won’t only be playing pieces from movie classics. In addition, ISU percussion instructor and symphony member Barry Larkin will solo on the first movement of “Concerto for Marimba and Orchestra,” by Robert Kurka, as well as “Xylophonia,” by Joe Green.

A member of the percussion section since 1992, Larkin said the orchestra is excited about the chance to come back to ISU for a concert.

“[Dr. Jischke] likes to kick off the school year with a concert,” Larkin said. “This is something he initiated, and we’re extremely happy about it.”

Before the music starts, Jischke and a few others will serve free ice cream to all who are interested.

“Wells Blue Bunny is donating a lot of the ice cream, which is really helping out a lot,” Craft said. “Plus, it gives students a chance to meet Dr. Jischke in person.”