Voters needed in election

Kate Adams

Things aren’t exactly going as planned for delegates of the Government of the Student Body Constitutional Convention.

“It’s always hard to get people to vote,” said Convention Chairman Jamey Hansen. “On top of that, it’s even more difficult to get people to vote on a document.”

That document is the proposed GSB Constitution, which Hansen said has only been voted on by about 500 students. A vote of 4,621 students is required to ratify or turn down the new Constitution and to also decide on the fate of specialty seats in the Senate.

While he said the turnout is disappointing, Hansen said he understands the dilemma.

“A lot of people don’t have a clue what’s going on, but that’s understandable. A lot of what GSB does is boring,” Hansen said.

Less than 200 students voted Tuesday, though voters were targeted at Friley Food Service.

“I think they should have the specialty seats because people need to be represented,” said John Frank, a freshman in computer science who voted at Friley Hall Tuesday evening.

Hansen said it is difficult to get the information about the vote to students, and that talking to each student one on one is the only surefire way to make sure that students are informed and interested in making a choice.

“I’m not saying that students aren’t capable of making decisions, they just don’t have time,” he said.

Hansen said he can pretty much anticipate that the constitution will not generate an additional 4,121 votes by Friday, and it will therefore become an invalid election.

All the work on the constitution is not for nothing, Hansen said. He said there will likely be another vote in the near future, but will probably take a different format next time.

Under the present convention rules, 20 percent of the student body is required to vote, which figures out to the 4,621 that is needed this year. That rule was created specifically by the current constitutional convention.

“I’m kicking myself in the head for that now,” Hansen said.

Hansen, who will not be involved with GSB next year, thinks a new idea such as voting through student councils or a referendum vote might work better for the committee, if the issue comes up again.

For now, Hansen is encouraging students to vote anyway, because it will cause students to at least be more informed and the convention to have a better idea how the student body feels about the issues.

Students can vote today and tomorrow from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the GSB office and Wednesday in the Towers Residence Association dining centers and Richardson Court Association dining centers during dinner hours.