Hamilton switched to business candidate

Tim Frerking

A Government of the Student Body senatorial candidate is now running for a College of Business seat after an election official told him he was ineligible for an off-campus seat.

John Hamilton, a current GSB senator for the business college, was signed up earlier this month to run for an off-campus senatorial seat.

He lives in the Delta Chi Fraternity house, 405 Hayward. Students living in greek house are not considered “off-campus.”

Ryan Flaugh, election commissioner, said Hamilton filled out a statement of intent for the business seat, but after a lengthy telephone conversation Flaugh said he misunderstood Hamilton’s intentions and mistakenly slated him for the off-campus seat.

“It was my error,” Flaugh, a sophomore in chemical engineering, said. “After he hung up the phone I marked him for off-campus, but he wanted to still run for business.”

Flaugh has switched Hamilton back to business. Hamilton will appear on the ballot as a candidate for that seat.

Hamilton did originally plan to run for an off-campus seat in next year’s Senate because he plans to move out of his fraternity house before the start of the fall semester.

“I was going to be living off-campus next semester, but I couldn’t run because I will be seated while I’m at the [Delta Chi] house,” he said. GSB senators will be seated at the April 23 Senate meeting.

GSB elections will be held Feb. 25-27. Students who are on the ballot for the nine available off-campus seats are: Ben Bartels, Beth Davis, Theron Lewis, Joe Yedlik and Joseph Brus. Students, in addition to Hamilton, on the ballot for the two available business seats are: Pete Bernardy, Chemika Butler and Lee McMillan.