Committee seeking Trice feedback at forum today

Eden Thacker

At first it had no name, then it was called Cyclone Stadium, then Cyclone Stadium/Jack Trice Field, and now? Jack Trice Stadium might stick.

The Iowa State Advisory Committee on the Naming of Buildings and Streets is holding a public forum today to get input. For more than a month, university officials have been seeking feedback about a new stadium name over the World Wide Web.

The forum, at 4 p.m. in Room 118 of Horticulture Hall, will allow for discussion about the possibility of renaming the football stadium in honor of Trice, ISU’s first black football player and the only Cyclone athlete to die from injuries sustained during competition.

John Anderson, interim director for university relations, said anyone will be allowed to speak at the forum. The recommendation will be forwarded to ISU President Martin Jischke. The ultimate decision will be made by the state Board of Regents.

Iowa State Athletic Director Gene Smith said he may attend and encouraged all members of the university community to show up. Smith would not offer an opinion about the issue, saying the decision is up to university administrators.

The Government of Student Body has passed legislation in favor of changing the name. Adam Gold, GSB president, said he’ll be at the forum.

“I was not asked to speak at the forum. However, I will be there along with my cabinet members,” Gold said. “I assume a panel of people from the naming committee will be there, but I do not know the format of the forum.”

Leaders for other campus groups and organizations have said they’ll also be in attendance. There have been sporadic calls to rename the stadium after Trice for the past decade, but nothing came of the movements.

Most agree that this academic year is the best opportunity for Trice supporters.

On Oct. 6, 1923, Trice was injured in a game against Minnesota. He broke his collar bone early in the game and sustained several internal injuries after being stomped on by members of the opposing team. Due to complications from the injuries, Trice died two days later back in Ames after being sent home by Minneapolis doctors.

Student opinions vary.

Karyn Tyma, a freshman in exercise and sport science, said, “It is respectful to honor an athlete such as Jack Trice, but who is to say that another athlete doesn’t deserve the same recognition?”

Others say tense racial relations on campus make this an opportune time to honor Trice.

“Considering the Catt Hall situation, I think it is a good idea that we show our support for minority students,” said Jeff Irvin, a freshman in biology.