Off the beaten path: Activity suggestions for Cyclone Family Weekend

Courtesy of Parent and Family Programs
The 2023 Cyclone Family Weekend will be held Oct. 13 to Oct. 15.

With Cyclone Family Weekend just around the corner, Parent and Family Programs has put together an extensive schedule of events for the weekend. In addition to participating in some of the scheduled activities, visitors can also take the opportunity to explore what else Ames has to offer.

The last Ames Main Street Farmers’ Market of the season will be held Saturday from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Vendors will be in Downtown Ames selling produce, food and drink and handmade goods. Visitors to the market will also be able to enjoy free music.

Downtown Ames features a wide variety of other opportunities for visitors. Booklovers should stop into the local bookshop, Dog-Eared Books. Hungry visitors can also savor a coffee and sweet treat from Cafe Diem or enjoy a thick-crust pizza at The Great Plains Sauce & Dough Co. For the more adventurous, No Escape Iowa houses several escape rooms with varying levels of difficulty.

With no home football game this weekend, families may want to go to a Cyclone sporting event. Luckily for them, the Men’s Hockey Club will be playing home games Friday and Saturday nights. Visitors can watch the team face off against the University of Illinois at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena. Tickets can be purchased at the door.

Before heading out of town Sunday, visitors can enjoy a nice brunch at a local restaurant. The Cafe, located in North Ames, and Provisions Lot F, located in South Ames, feature a fresh, farm-to-table brunch menu.

For those on the west side of Ames, Daytime Diner is a cozy, retro-themed cafe with a luxury coffee menu and delicious brunch selection.

Cafe Beaudelaire— often called “Cafe B” by ISU students—is a Brazilian fusion cafe in Campustown. The restaurant serves globally-inspired food and has an extensive drink menu.

All of these restaurants have limited seating that fills up quickly, so be sure to arrive early or call ahead if you have a large party.

Ada Hayden Heritage Park is a gorgeous location in North Ames. The park includes boat access, grills, fishing spots and a paved bike path. A leisurely stroll around the lake with the family would be a wonderful way to finish off the weekend before heading home.