Cyclone gymnastics’ skid continues in third-place finish at Utah State Quad-Meet

Junior+Hannah+Loyim+strikes+a+pose+on+the+balance+beam+at+the+Cyclones+vs+Illinois+State+University+gymnastics+meet+at+Hilton+Coliseum%2C+Jan.+26%2C+2024.++
Maeley Rosengren
Junior Hannah Loyim strikes a pose on the balance beam at the Cyclones vs Illinois State University gymnastics meet at Hilton Coliseum, Jan. 26, 2024.

The Iowa State gymnastics squad found itself at the Utah State Quad-Meet matched up with the host team in Utah State, Texas Woman’s (TWU) and No. 33 Boise State and came out of the day in third place between the four teams.

Iowa State finished with a score of 195.950. That score came in just above TWU’s 195.450 and well below Boise State’s 197.025 and Utah State’s 196.275.

Iowa State entered a skid of sorts, finding itself slipping from No. 24 down to No. 29. This came as a result of back-to-back losses on the road to Denver at two separate tri-meets. The Cyclones entered with a record of 4-5 with only one road win thus far. 

Adams earns another career-high

Freshman Noelle Adams, who has been the focal point of the Cyclones’ season thus far, continued her success Friday night. Adams earned herself a new career high in the floor exercise. 

Her previous high score had been 9.900 points, a score which she earned on multiple occasions. However, in Logan, Utah, Adams earned herself 9.950 points, which boosted the Cyclones through the first rotation of events. 

Adams would go on to have strong performances in her second event, where she earned a 9.825-point performance on the vault.

Hannah Loyim returns to all-around competition

After missing the Cyclones’ previous meet, Loyim returned to her place as the go-to all-arounder for the gymnastics team. 

In her return, she scored 39.150 points. This came in slightly below her per meet average, which was 39.179. 

Loyim scored highest in the beam event, where she earned herself 9.850 points. This did beat out her average beam score of 9.782. That helped her earn second place among the three all-around competitors present at the quad-meet.

Constant struggles on the road

The Cyclones found themselves continuing their trend of falling in road meets, as they placed third among the four teams. With only one official road victory so far on the season, the team is in for a lot more road action, with only one more home meet left on the schedule.

Their loss at the Utah State Quad-Meet is likely to see the Cyclones fall down the standings further, with the overall winner, No. 33 Boise State, likely to outrank them.

The loss may also cause concern as the Cyclones have failed to win any of their three meets with more than one opposing team. With their third-place finish Friday night, the Cyclones have now fallen on the road in three-straight meets.