Everything you need to know about the 2024 StuGov election Tuesday and Wednesday

Maeley Rosengren
Completed in 1898, the Campanile is a memorial to Margaret Stanton, the first Dean of Women. Sept. 19, 2023.

Iowa State students will head to the virtual polls on Tuesday and Wednesday for the Student Government elections to elect a president, vice president and 36 senators. Here’s what to know:

How to vote and when to expect results

Students currently enrolled with an active Iowa State email address will receive an email from the Election Commission Tuesday with a link to access their ballot which will be available from Tuesday at 12:01 a.m. through Wednesday at 11:59 p.m. Students can also vote at vote.iastate.edu or vote in-person in the Memorial Union or Parks Library.

All students can vote in the presidential race and Senate races for their college and residency.

Election Commissioner Shane Clayton said the “preliminary winners” will be announced on the Election Commission Instagram, and a “mass email” will be sent after spring break with detailed results.

Incumbent president and VP on opposing tickets

The 2024 Student Government presidential race features incumbent President Jennifer Holliday and Sen. Sydney Jones running against Finance Director Martin Hursh and incumbent Vice President Quinn Margrett.

For more information, an article about the race written by the Daily can be found here.

Majority of Senate to be elected by write-in

The Iowa State Student Government Senate has 17 candidates running for 36 seats. The following constituencies do not have any candidates:

• Graduate and Professional Student Senate (two seats)
  • College of Human Sciences (two seats)
  • Ivy College of Business (two seats)
  • College of Veterinary Medicine (one seat)
  • Schilletter and University Village (one seat)

Here are Senate race previews written by the Daily of those that have candidates: