Big 12 Eats rankings: Part two

Tyler Coe
Conrad Hawley hypes up the crowd moments before Iowa State wins the Big 12 Championship at the men’s basketball Big 12 Championship game against Houston, T-Mobile Center, Kansas City, March 16, 2024.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The Big 12 Eats offers food selections for every school in the conference at the Big 12 Tournament. The wide variety of options gives fans plenty of choices to choose from during both five-day events.

With all that in mind, some schools’ themed foods hit the ball out of the park while others fall flat. It was my goal to find the best food from the Big 12 Eats menu.

If you have not checked out part one, I ranked the bottom five foods from the Big 12 Eats menu. After rounding out the bottom of the rankings, it is time to find out what foods cracked the top-10:

10. Orange Power Pizza: 6/10

Orange Power Pizza. T-Mobile Center. Kansas City, Missouri. March 15, 2024. (Christian Royston)

There is a big gap between what dictates a 5/10 food and a 6/10 food. Although the Baylor Brisket Sliders were not necessarily bad, the Orange Power Pizza is the start of the foods that become worth the high price point.

You get your own personal pizza, covered with meat and cheese and drizzled with ranch. The flavors complement each other well, and it is one of the more filling meals.

The reason I gave it a six and nothing higher is because it does not wow in any aspect. At the end of the day, it is just a meat lover’s pizza. Given how most of the other themed meals do something out of the ordinary, the Orange Power Pizza is just pizza.

Do not get me wrong, it is still good, but it is not extraordinary enough to hang with the upper echelon of the Big 12 Eats.

9. Shasta’s Brisket Tacos: 6/10

Shasta’s Brisket Tacos. T-Mobile Center. Kansas City, Missouri. March 15, 2024. (Christian Royston)

At the high $18 price tag, the three small tacos representing Houston do not give the same punch as the team.

There are solid flavors going on with the tacos. It is juicy, as the salsa verde is mild yet adds a refreshing taste to the tacos. The roasted corn, peppers and black beans pair well with the juicy brisket and add complexity to an otherwise simple dish. The cilantro on top is a nice touch as well.

Despite all the good-tasting flavors going on, the lack of heat is evident and does knock the score down, as the tacos come off more plain than they look. The small size, mixed with the store brand-tasting tortillas, does not add to its case.

When it comes to it, if you love tacos, you will be disappointed. But if you are just looking for a more flavorful dish from the themed items, this would be near the top of the list.

8. ISU Green Chili Pork Walking Taco: 6.5/10

ISU Green Chili Pork Walking Taco. T-Mobile Center. Kansas City, Missouri. March 15, 2024. (Christian Royston)

The size of the walking taco is what makes it worth it. It is probably the most food you can get from the Big 12 Eats menu.

The best thing about Iowa State’s walking taco is that it really does not do anything wrong. It is just a walking taco. The only issue with it is that it is a little bland.

The pulled pork has a solid flavor, but the green chili is lost with everything going on. The lettuce and cheese give the walking taco good texture and flavor. Add that with the Doritos, and it does walking tacos justice.

The amount of food you get is worth the price, but at the end of the day, it is not mindblowing, which is why it comes in under a seven rating.

7. Big 12 Dog: 6.5/10

Big 12 Dog. T-Mobile Center. Kansas City, Missouri. March 15, 2024. (Christian Royston)

This dog rivals the Iowa State walking taco in size. The foot-long hot dog is loaded to the max with goodies, including onions, relish, ketchup, mustard, peppers and cabbage with a healthy coating of nacho cheese on top.

At the highest price point of any item on the menu, it does still provide a good bang for its buck. Saying it is a lot of food is an understatement.

Along with the quantity, the flavors and textures of all the toppings blend well together and give it some depth. The nacho cheese also adds juiciness and gives it a much-needed cheesy quality to it.

Overall, although the Big 12 Dog does not do anything too crazy or special, it does enough to earn the 6.5 rating.

6. The “UCF” Citronaut Drink: 7/10

The “UCF” Citronaut Drink. T-Mobile Center. Kansas City, Missouri. March 15, 2024. (Christian Royston)

Earning the first 7/10 rating, the Citronaut adds a great change of pace to the Big 12 Eats menu.

As the only drink item on the menu, it does its job of being that refreshing beverage to enjoy alongside a slew of unique items. To put it simply, it is refreshing.

If you are a fan of orange Creamsicles, this is the item for you. The vanilla ice cream mixed with the orange flavoring works well, which seems obvious by the success of orange Creamsicles. The foaminess on top adds an airy quality to it that reminds me of a root beer float.

Overall, it is a great switch from the overload of meaty and savory dishes on the menu and adds a nice citrus ice cream treat that cleanses the palate.