Iowa State track and field finds success at Stanford Invitational

Joseph Dicklin
Iowa State runners McKinley Wheeler (5th), Bella Heikes (4th) and Janette Schraft (3rd) closely follow two Tulsa runners during the women’s 1 mile run for the Cyclone Open on Jan. 19, 2024.

The Cyclones continued their outdoor track and field success at the Stanford Invitational in Palo Alto, California.

The Cyclones held confidence against the fierce competition, finding overall success in a tough field.

Here are the three big takeaways from the Stanford Invitational:

The Cyclones exceed expectations in the 1,500

The Cyclones excelled in the men’s and women’s 1,500-meter runs, with strong showings in both categories.

In the women’s 1,500-meter run, Riley Beach placed first with a personal best time of 4:27.47. Maelle Porcher placed sixth in the second section with a time of 4:19.89, making her the sixth fastest in the event in Iowa State history.

In the men’s 1,500-meter run, Devan Kipyego placed first in section five with a time of 3:51.16. Peter Smith followed by placing first in section two with a time of 3:45.00. Ezekiel Rop finished off by placing first in section one with a run time of 3:40.09, currently ranking as number two in the nation in the event.

Fastest in the nation

After becoming the first woman in Iowa State history to pick up the steeplechase All-America honors, along with making history by running less than 10 minutes, Janette Schraft continued making history and dominating the competition at the Stanford Invitational.

With the fastest run time in the nation this season, Schraft placed first in the women’s 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 9:48.20. Overall, Schraft took nine seconds off her 3,000-meter steeplechase school record to finish at the top.

Men’s outdoor field events dominate again

The Cyclones have found previous success with their field events and continued impressing the competition with their hammer and discus throw wins.

Cam Jones placed first in the hammer throw with a throw of 63.70 meters, moving up to second place in Iowa State history. He continued finding success by placing first in the men’s collegiate discus with a throw of 52.17 meters.

Kevin Sakson also placed first in the men’s invitational discus with a throw of 53.28 meters.