What clothes to bring for college

Maggie Curry

1. Water resistant jacket

Iowa experiences all four seasons, with intermittent rain in spring and fall. Make sure your jacket can withstand cold rain. Swap it out for a winter coat when the temperatures drop below 40 degrees.

2. Two pairs of flip flops

You’ll need one pair for the shower and one pair for – not the shower. Don’t let one pair pull double duty, or the point of protecting your feet from gross shower is moot.

3. A mix of short and long pants

Even though you arrive in summer, fall will arrive faster than you think with oscillating temperatures. Be prepared for anything from hot, 80 degree humidity to chilly, rainy 50 degrees.

4. Cyclone spirit wear

Whether you tailgate, get tickets or watch from a restaurant or dorm room, having one piece of Cyclone gear will benefit you on game day. Keep in mind that later in the season football games will be very hot during the day and very chilly at night, so a sweatshirt and a shirt may be good investments.

5. Walking shoes

College will kill your shoes. Iowa State is a relatively closed campus, where many students choose to walk from class to class, dorm to dining hall. Give your feet their best shot by having good-quality, comfy shoes, whether it be sandals or sneakers.

6. A “business” outfit

This is for when – you guessed it – you mean business. From class presentations, interviews and career fairs, having a business-appropriate outfit will set you ahead of other first-year students. Most majors favor conservative colors, long pants or skirts, and a nice jacket or blazer.

7. Going-out outfit

Whether you decide to hit a restaurant with friends, venture to a party or attend a nice event on campus, having a fun going-out option will make you feel more adult.

8. All the underwear

You won’t want to do laundry every week. It won’t happen. Make sure you have plenty of underwear, socks and undershirts to last through armageddon.

9. Your favorites

You know that sweater you’re iffy on, feel a little guilty for never wearing, got from a family member but can’t quite ever wear? Don’t bring that. Focus on moving in with just your favorites – the clothes that will make you feel good when you put them on.

10. The basics

Mix and match as much of your wardrobe as possible. Have plain t-shirts, solid colored jeans or pants and neutral shoes. This will maximize your clothes space and minimize your stress when getting dressed for your 8 a.m. Our favorite: a black v-neck t-shirt. It can be dressy or casual depending on the rest of your outfit.