Add style to any outfit with socks, the perfect accessory

Nicki Devilbiss

Winter in Iowa demands warmth and comfort in clothing and college students with busy schedules need comfortable accessories that are easy to style. Socks ranging from knit to thigh high are perfect for comfort and combatting cold weather, while allowing students to remain stylish.

Cozy in the classroom

Knit socks in seasonal colors, such as charcoal, black and maroon are perfect in a lecture hall for both men and women. Roll to desired length, preferably resting above a tall combat boot or tucked inside, barely visible. Knit socks are comfortable and warm, proving functional for long walks across campus. Knit socks are available at stores like T.J. Maxx.

For a more casual look, try socks with lace trim. Morgan Lanis, sophomore in apparel, merchandising and design, recommended pairing the socks with leggings and Keds or Vans sneakers to add style to a simple outfit. Topshop and Forever 21 offer lace-trimmed socks in various colors and patterns.

Impress at an internship

For men, a simple black sock is often required for professional settings, such as an after school internship or meeting. Aaron Jacobson, senior in computer science, said he wears long black, brown or navy socks for formal events. While there is little room to stray from a simple black sock, men can add personality to socks with a subtle diamond or gold, striped pattern without jeopardizing professionalism. Search department stores such as Macy’s or Von Maur for black socks.

Thigh High on Friday night

Being both warmth and fashionable during a night out with friends can prove difficult. Lanis said she loves thigh high socks for their ability to replace tights and allow women to wear skirts in winter. She recommended pairing thigh high socks with a circle skirt to remain stylish and warm. Pair white or black thigh-high socks with a plaid circle skirt for an edgy, fun look. Thigh-high socks are available at stores like American Apparel and Rue 21.