5K race attracts runners of all ages

Kyle Oppenhuizen

A 3-mile run through campus will kick off Thursday’s Veishea celebration.

The “In the Running 5K Race,” one of the 22 tournaments held at Veishea this year, features a chance for all age groups to take a stroll through campus, starting at Frederiksen Court and looping around Parks Library, through Central Campus and ending up back at Frederiksen.

“I really think it will be fun for the runners, because you are running through campus,” said Kelsey Hedge, co-chairwoman for the event and senior in industrial engineering. “It can be great to run by some of that stuff that you may not usually walk by; it makes it fun and makes it go by faster.”

Following the race at Frederiksen Court will be a barbecue for all race participants and spectators, which will feature the music of Five Times August and The Damon Dotson Band.

“People will be able to get a great barbecue, the entertainment that night is going to be great,” said Veishea tournament co-chairman Justin Jedlicka, senior in agricultural studies.

“I think it’s going to be fun for anybody, whether they are serious about winning the 5K or enter and just want to go out and have a good run around campus.”

Age groups include children under 11, children ages 11 to 18, adults ages 19 to 35 and ages 36 and up. A large number of entrants is expected, making it among the most popular tournaments, Jedlicka said.

“I think it’s a good event for Veishea to have because it’s obvious how interested a lot of people are in running it,” Jedlicka said. “So far, that’s got the most contestants out of any of our tournaments.”

Part of the popularity may be that running is just a big interest around campus, said Mark Sullivan event co-chairman and senior in construction engineering.

“We’ve hit on everybody’s interests; running is a huge thing for a lot of people. We’ll bring people out, and it’s good exercise,” Sullivan said.

Winners of each age group will receive a Veishea champion T-shirt and a medal from the tournament committee. Local businesses will also contribute prizes. Still, Hedge believes the race will be more about having a good time than winning.

“I don’t think it’s going to be a really fiercely competitive race. It’s just going to be really fun for all the performers,” Hedge said.

The race starts at 6:30 p.m. Thursday with registration taking place from 5 to 6 p.m. The barbecue and entertainment will begin at 7 p.m.