Ames local election sees 12 unopposed victors

Photo by Katherine Kealey/Iowa State Daily
Students can visit the Story County website to receive information about registering to vote, sending in absentee ballots and the election in general.

Tuesday’s election saw 12 candidates from the Ames City Council, school board and hospital trustees on the ballot, all of whom ran unopposed for their respective positions.

There were a total of 7,066 ballots cast in Story County– a 10.15% voter turnout. The election saw a -11.25% difference in voter turnout compared to the last local election in 2021, which had a voter turnout of 21.4%.

Ward 4 Rep. Rachel Junck and Ward 2 Rep. Tim Gartin were reelected to their respective constituencies.

Bronwyn Beatty-Hansen, who was previously an at-large representative, was elected to represent ward 1. Gloria Betcher, the previous ward 1 representative, was elected to represent ward 3.

Anita Rollins, the previous ward 3 representative, was elected to serve as an at-large representative.

School Board

Allen Bierbaum, Angie DeWaard, William Scott Dryer and Sabrina Shields-Cook were elected to serve on the Ames School Board.

Hospital Trustees

Natallia Gray and incumbents Ken McCuskey and Austin D.M. Woodin were elected as hospital trustees.