Record falls, freshmen chase greatness at Jim Duncan Invitational

Tyler Coe
Cam Jones competes in the hammer throw at the Drake Relays on Apr. 29, 2023.

The Iowa State track and field team stayed close to home and competed in the Jim Duncan Invitational in Des Moines, Iowa.

The Cyclones delivered a remarkable performance from start to finish when faced with tough competition, overall maintaining their success throughout the day.

43-year-old shot put record broken

With a season filled with success, Cam Jones delivered with a continuation of outstanding achievements.

Jones placed first overall in the men’s shot put with a throw of 20.05 meters and broke Iowa State’s 1981 shot put program record.

Jones is now number two in the nation currently and is the first in Iowa State history to hit 20 meters in the shot put event. He now holds three school records, two of which are indoor and outdoor shot put records.

Cyclones maintain victory in field events

With continued success throughout the season with outdoor field events, the Cyclones remained victorious at the Jim Duncan Invitational.

In the men’s hammer throw, Zach Verzani placed first overall with a throw of 61.60 meters, moving up to fifth in Iowa State history. With a new season best throw of 55.18 meters, Garret Wagner placed fifth overall.

In the women’s shot put, Jadan Brumbaugh sealed third place with a new season best throw of 14.59 meters.

In the men’s javelin throw, Nathan Vincent placed second overall, with a throw of 56.73 meters. Clyde Hendrix finished right behind and placed third overall with a throw of 51.47 meters.

Freshmen chase greatness

The Iowa State freshmen showed true greatness in all events, overall contributing to the team’s success as a whole.

Brooklyn Sandvig ran the 200-meter race for the first time this season, placing third overall with a time of 24.28, the ninth-fastest Iowa State performance in the event.

In the women’s long jump, Amari Laing placed first overall with a distance of 5.68 meters.

Two freshmen, Katie Strotman and Hannah Baier, competed in their first discus throw. Strotman placed 14th with a throw of 34.66 meters, and Baier followed, placing 15th with a throw of 33.85 meters.