Long-distance runners face tough competition at Bryan Clay Invitational

Sam Petri
Iowa State distance runner Said Mechaal strides through the men’s 600 yard event on Jan. 19, 2024 in the Leid Recreational center for the Cyclone Open meet.

The Iowa State track and field team divided itself as its long-distance runners proceeded with their outdoor season traveling to Azusa, California, for the Bryan Clay Invitational.

The three-day invitational had strong competitors in all events, but the Cyclones displayed perseverance and resilience throughout the invitational.

Men’s steeplechase outshines competition

The Cyclones started strong with the men’s 3,000 steeplechase.

Placing third in the heat, Quinton Orr made improvements in the steeplechase, coming in at 8:44.49. Orr now sits with the ninth-fastest performance in Iowa State history.

Gable Sieperda placed 12th overall with a new personal best time of 8:34.24, the fourth fastest time in Iowa State history.

New rankings in the 5000-meter run

The Cyclones found success in both men’s and women’s 5,000-meter runs, each with new top-ranked performances.

Placing fifth overall in the women’s 5,000-meter run with a time of 15:44.25, Maelle Porcher now ranks number four in Iowa State history after cutting 22 seconds off her previous run time.

Said Mechaal started off the men’s 5000-meter run, placing 18th with a time of 13:34.65. Mechaal now ranks sixth in the event in Iowa State history.

Sanele Masondo placed ninth overall in his section with a time of 13:36.13, now ranking ninth in Iowa State’s performance history.

Cyclones’ surprising success in the 800-meter dash

With tough competitors in the 800-meter dash, the Cyclones powered through and found success.

In the women’s 800-meter dash, Riley Beach placed first with a new personal best time of 2:07.75. Following closely behind were Camryn Hubbard with a time of 2:11.99 and Kaia Holtkamp with a time of 2:15.63.

Tyler Carreon placed fifth in a heat of the men’s 800-meter dash with a time of 1:50.57. James Olivier placed seventh in a heat with a time of 1:54.28.