Pair of Cyclone Big 12 champions highlight Indoor Championship

Courtesy of Luke Lu/Iowa State Athletics
Jason Gomez runs in the 2021 Iowa State Classic on Friday in Lied Recreation Athletic Center. 

With the indoor season wrapping up, the Cyclones did their best to finish strong at the Big 12 Indoor Track and Field Championship.

It was a difficult meet overall for the Cyclones which pitted them against the best of the best in the Big 12 Conference. The Cyclones found success in a handful of events to end the meet on a high note. 

Here are the three big takeaways from a tough Big 12 Championship meet: 

Women’s 400 shows a bright spot 

Overall, for most of the sprinters, this meet was one to forget, but for sophomore Rachel Joseph, it will be a meet she can use to build on moving forward. 

Joseph placed second in her first heat in the women’s 400-meter dash, which was good enough to put her in the finals. In the finals, Joseph also placed second overall and ran a personal best of 51.98 seconds. 

Gómez wins men’s 800 

The only track event that saw a Cyclone win was the men’s 800-meter dash. 

Senior Jason Gómez continued his stellar season winning the Big 12 Championship in the men’s 800-meter dash with a time of 1:48.36. 

That was the second time Gómez was crowned Big 12 champion in the 800-meter dash.

Men’s shot put comes through yet again 

All season long, the throwers for Iowa State have been some of the best in the conference. Saturday, they showed why they are the best in the conference. 

Junior Cam Jones set a new personal best and won the event with a throw of 19.60 meters on his fifth throw. Following him was Kevin Sakson who placed fourth and also got a new personal best with a throw of 19.05 meters. 

Overall, the Cyclones were placed in the middle of the pack on both the men’s and the women’s side, finishing fifth and eighth, respectively. There is room to improve going forward but nothing to hang their heads about due to the competitiveness of the Big 12 Conference.