Iowa State continues outdoor season at Stanford Invitational

Tyler Coe
Dahlia Gardiner throws the javelin in the Drake Relays on Apr. 29.

The Cyclones travel out west to compete in the Stanford Invitational in Palo Alto, California, over the weekend. This will only be the second outdoor meet of the season.

A weekend ago in Tampa, Florida, the Cyclones found a lot of success. Iowa State dominated in the shot put, placing three in the top five, led by Cam Jones. 

The Cyclones also showed a strong ability in the javelin throw, where they placed three athletes in the top six, led by Nathan Vincent. 

Iowa State’s Rachel Joseph won the women’s 400-meter dash. It was a great start to the outdoor season considering the overflow of success, especially in the field events.

Looking at the other teams that will compete in Palo Alto, California, things will be a little tougher in the Stanford Invitational. The most notable team will be the Oregon Ducks. 

Oregon year in and year out is ranked in the top-10 and will pose a difficult challenge for the Cyclones. The Ducks found success in their last meet, placing at the top in nine events. 

To go along with Oregon, the Cyclones will have to worry about the host team Stanford. The Cardinal also opened their season up with wins in seven events. 

The Cyclones will also need to watch out for California. California struggled in its opening outdoor meet but historically has been a great program and will be looking to bounce back in a big way. The meet will also nearly be a home meet for California.

The Stanford Invitational will start for Iowa State at 11:54 a.m. Friday in Palo Alto, California, with the 5,000-meter race. Live stats can be found here.